Time for an upgrade

There have been a few updates we've made to the car recently that are turning out pretty nice. 

First off, while driving home from a friend's house, I noticed a bit of a whine that only occurred under load. Along with this whine, I noticed that the car was not making much boost at all. Once I got home, I inspected the turbos to find this:


The turbos we bought 7 years ago have decided to sacrifice their bearings to the gods. These were just cheap turbos we got off of eBay, and I really only expected to get ~10k miles out of them. Sadly, they made it about 2,500 miles before giving me the finger.

So, I'll introduce you to the latest addition to our family: twin VS Racing billet 72/65's!

VS Racing Billet 72/65

These new turbos are configured a bit differently than the old ones. Despite having a larger compressor, I configured them with smaller exhaust housings. The old turbos were ar .86, these new ones are ar .68. This should bring a noticeable reduction in turbo lag. 

There is quite a difference between these 72mm billet turbos and the older 67mm cast ones.

72mm billet vs 67mm cast

The new turbos bolt on with very minimal modifications necessary. Just need to change the v-band flange and extend the downpipe a few inches.

Minimal modifications required


Beautiful!

These new turbos also came with some very nice billet aluminum oil drain flanges.




So I was also having some issues with the FiTech losing power during cranking, which was making it very difficult to start the car when it was up to temp. So to resolve this, I installed a new power distribution block in the trunk, and ran a wire directly to the FiTech for constant power.

New distribution block

New distribution block


I also got a new set of headlights from a friend, which were greatly appreciated as the headlights that I had in the car were extremely dim.

New Headlights

New Headlights






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 mid-year update

I was going to do some welding today, but. ....