Went to the track and had a bit of fun

So one thing I didn't share on my last post was that I got a new car. In Sept of last year I bought a 2019 Ford Edge ST, with the twin-turbo V6 & AWD. I wanted an Edge Sport since I sat in one in 2017 when I ended up buying my Hyundai Santa Fe instead (it was cost prohibitive back then).

But after the Hyundai had to get two new transmissions over the course of 3 months, I decided to trade it in, and I bought the upgraded version of the car I fell in love with back in 2017:





Then about 3 weeks later, we traded the wife's 2013 Impreza in on another new car, a 2019 Ford Escape Titanium, with the turbo 2.0L.




Both of these cars are very comfortable, and drive great. We drove the ST from Bellevue to LA and back for Thanksgiving, and the Ford Autopilot with adaptive cruise made that trip so much easier and less stressful than our previous trips back home.

Anyway.... back to the fun. Last Wednesday we went to the track for a bit of fun. I took the ST just to see what it would do. Motortrend said their test car was able to click off a 14.6 @ 95mph. Now I've had mid 14's cars before (my CRX, Heather's 98 Civic 4-door, and my Civic when it had the stock motor), and this felt a little faster than that. I told myself I would be happy if I managed to beat the Motortrend time of 14.6, so my goal was a 14.5. 

After teching in I got in line and waited my turn.

I enabled the advanced sport-trac mode to calm the TCS down a bit, depressed the brake and gas fully when the tree started to light, and let off the brake as the 3rd light came up. First time racing at the track in nearly 15 years, and it was fun.

14.162 @ 96.37 mph with a 2.111 60' time. Not too bad for a 4,500lb crossover that gets 24 mpg. 

I lined up once more, and threw it down the track a 2nd time:

14.247 @ 95.58 mph. Not quite as fast... but look at that identical 60' time.  Another 2.111. At least I can launch the car consistently.

Once I finish up a few more things with the Nova, I will need to bring it to the track. It currently needs a new battery. I had an idler pulley start squeaking this past week on it, so I ordered new ones and replaced them over the weekend. So new battery is next!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 mid-year update

Time for an upgrade

I was going to do some welding today, but. ....